Looking for a festive DIY gift idea? Here’s a fun way to make use of any leftover cranberries and get a head-start on your holiday gift making.
Makes 5 (1-pint jars)
What You Need
8 cups apples (peeled, cored, and diced)
4 cups fresh cranberries
6 cups granulated sugar
Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- Prepare a boiling water bath and 5 regular-mouth 1-pint jars using this process. In a small saucepan, cover the lids with water and simmer over very low heat.
- While lids are simmering, peel, core, and dice your apples.
- In a large pot, combine the apples, cranberries, sugar, and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Foam will develop on the top of the fruit. Skim it off as this happens, while continuing to boil for 15 to 20 minutes.
- When the cranberries pop and the apples soften, add the lemon zest and juice and reduce heat. Simmer for about 10 minutes, until the liquid in the pot thickens. No extra pectin is needed because both apples and cranberries are high in pectin.
- When the jam reaches the desired consistency, remove from heat and ladle into your prepared jars. Wipe the rims clean, screw on tightly, and lower into the boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
Want to learn more about canning and jarring, from A to Z? Check out “The Ultimate Guide to Canning and Jarring Food: Strategies and Safety Tips” by Steph Young.
Happy creative gift-giving!
Recipe adapted from “Food in Jars” by Marissa McLellan.