Although “comfort food season” is still a few weeks away, this fall-inspired recipe will get you in the mood. Made with fresh, wholesome ingredients, it combines fresh-from-the-garden potatoes and Vermont-made cheese with your pick of seasonal veggies for a quick and easy one-pot meal.
Spring Brook Tarentaise is produced in Reading, Vermont, about 15 miles from our Woodstock store. This French alpine-style cheese is the perfect accompaniment to this classic French recipe.
Here are some suggestions for your fall harvest vegetable:
- 1 large heirloom tomato, cored and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1 cup butternut squash, thinly sliced
- 1 large sweet potato, cut in 1/8 inch slices
- 1 large onion cut cup of thinly sliced in ¼ inch slices and sautéed in 2 tablespoons of butter until tender
What you’ll need
- 8×11 gratin dish or 8×8 glass baking dish or 9-inch deep pie plate
- small saucepan
- vegetable peeler
- measuring cup
- mandolin or food processor to slice potatoes
- 2 pounds starchy potatoes
- Your choice fall harvest vegetable (see above for suggestions)
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 clove of garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) Spring Brook Tarentaise cheese, grated
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel the potatoes and slice them 1/8 inch thick.
- Smear the dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter.
- In a small saucepan, bring cream, sliced garlic, and thyme to a boil. Set aside for 5 minutes. Remove thyme.
- Spread half of the potatoes in the bottom of the dish. Divide over them, half the salt, pepper, cheese, and slices of butter.
- Top the first layer of potatoes with your fall harvest vegetable of choice.
- Arrange the remaining potatoes over the veggies and season with salt and pepper. Spread the remaining cheese and butter over the potatoes. Pour the cream over the potatoes.
- Set the baking dish in the upper third of a preheated oven. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the potatoes are tender, the cream is absorbed, and the top is a golden.