The ultimate edible centerpiece, a well-planned cheeseboard provides a festive and warm welcome for guests. And what we love most about cheeseboards is that they don’t require a lot of time and effort. You just need to know what to include.
What makes a great cheeseboard? A variety of flavors, textures, and colors. Build your board around a mix of cheeses: hard, soft, and blue. Then add in a few sweet and savory pairings, and voila! It’s a party!
Here’s our simple guide to your DIY holiday cheeseboard:
Choose one or two cheeses from each category (a total of 3-5 cheeses). Some of our favorites:
- Grafton Clothbound Cheddar (Grafton, VT)
- Spring Brook Farm – “Reading” (Reading, VT)
- Vermont Shepard – “ Verano” (Westminster, VT)
- Boston Post Dairy – “Trés Bonne Reserve” (Enosburg Falls, VT)
- Jasper Hill Farm – “Harbison” (Greensboro, VT)
- Blue Ledge Farm – “Lake’s Edge” (Salisbury, VT)
- Lazy Lady Farm – “La Petite Tamme” (Westfield, VT)
- Nettle Meadow Farm – “Simply Sheep” (Thurman, NY)
- Jasper Hill Farm – “Bayley Hazen” (Greensboro, VT)
- Colston Bassette Dairy – “Stilton” (Nottinghamshire, England)
- Green Mountain Blue Cheese – “Boucher Blue” (Highgate Center, VT)
Time to choose your accompaniments! Select a variety of sweet and savory accoutrements to place in and around the cheeses. This is your opportunity to add visual interest to your creation, as well as fun and unexpected flavors. Here are a few ideas:
- Fresh figs
- Fruit & berries
- Dried apricots
- Jams & jellies
- Quince paste
- Dried cranberries
- Marcona almonds
Slice up some fresh bread, in 1/4-inch rounds, and place them in handfuls around the board, along with some of your favorite crackers (our made-in-Vermont favorites are Jan’s Farmhouse Crisps and Castleton Crackers).
Need help? Stop by the cheese department. We’d love to help you create a delicious assortment of cheeses and accoutrements for your next event.
Too much to think about? We’re happy to make one for you. Just stop by or contact our catering department. Click here to see our holiday catering menu.