We all love a good burger, especially during grilling season. But what about a GREAT burger? It only takes a few extra ingredients to Elevate Your Burger! Our WFM culinary team has created five original—and absolutely delicious—burger recipes to bring your go-to summer meal to the next level! We’re excited to share these mouth-watering “Elevate Your Burger” recipes with you.
This week’s burger recipe, Veggie Burger with Balsamic Grilled Red Onions, is brought to you by our very own Amelia.
- Veggie burgers of choice (Amelia used Vermont Bean Crafters Black Bean + Sweet Potato, but she loves Beyond Meat burgers too!)
- 1 red onion, sliced into rounds
- Olive oil
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- Balsamic vinegar
- Large tomato, sliced
- Rolls of your choice
- Garlic oil (or any flavored oil)
- Cook burgers to your liking, either on the grill or in a pan.
- Meanwhile, if using a grill, brush onion slices with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill on one side until lightly charred, then flip and grill on the other side until cooked through. Transfer to a bowl and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
- If using a pan: Sauté onion slices in oil with salt and pepper. Don’t stir too much—you want them to brown a bit before turning them. When they have softened, add balsamic vinegar (a couple of tablespoons) and stir. Remove from heat.
- Brush cut side of rolls with garlic oil and toast over the grill or in a dry heavy pan over medium heat until lightly browned.
- Assemble: Top bottom of roll with a thick slice of tomato and some balsamic onion. Top that with your burger, arugula, and avocado slices. Add another slice of tomato and top of roll. Serve with French fries, of course!